The northern Sierra of Oaxaca is an exceptional place. A real niche, not only ecological and natural beauties, but mainly by its human and cultural wealth. But one of the unsurpassable "jewels" of this corner of the State is without a doubt Capulalpam de Mendez.
This mountain community has had a permanent presence in the conformation of the region and has given characters such as Miguel Méndez Hernández, organizer and initiator of the liberal party, Professor of the Sciences and Arts Institute of the city of Oaxaca, Member of the mountain trilogy along with Benito Juarez and Marcos Pérez.
Indeed, the "serranos" (mountain people), have actively participated in the creation of the Mexican nation, beginning with the brightest of them all, Don Benito Juarez Garcia, who was born near Capulalpam.
It receives the name of Capulalpam by the abundance of the chokecherry tree; in Nahuatl language means: "land of the chokecherry tree". Its history appears in the relation of Chicomezuchil; it notes its people, along with those of Yahuiche, Ixtlán and Lachatao, are those who resisted the conquerors. In 1521 took place the first demarcation of Atotolinga lands, a village near San Juan Juquila Vijanos, extinguished by the first conquistadors, the representative of Capulalpam, lord Goqueyaglaba came forward to attest the boundary points, which were those of Yagxiyagadoni and Tieinaguia.
In the mid-17th century Capulalpam was Juan Muñoz Canedo encomienda, composed back then of four districts, which paid tribute independently. Since then it maintains four districts and each is taxed on its own. In the late 17th century its limits towards the east and South was the current Nativity River, and in 1775, with the discovery of the mine Dolores, founded the first hacienda of gold and silver benefit in the jurisdiction of this village, ensuring that from that time began the flow of spaniards.
Capulalpam has an of the most important jewels of the colonial art of Oaxaca, the Temple of San Mateo is a wonder well worth visiting, unique in the Sierra Juarez.
The temple of San Mateo; Building completed at the end of the 17th century. The facade is decorated with two portals, which combines classic and baroque elements. This temple is notable for being one of the few that still has wooden roofs covered with tile, as well as the collection of altarpieces in different types and themes contained in its interior.
Capulalpam is located in the sierra norte region, belongs to the District of Ixtlan de Juarez. It is located at the coordinates: North latitude 17° 18', west longitude 96° 27', at an altitude of 6,692 feet above sea level.
It borders to the North with Ixtlan de Juárez and San Miguel Yotao, to the South with San Miguel Amatlán and Santiago Xiacui, west with Ixtlan de Juarez and on the east with Nativity and San Miguel Yotao. Its approximate distance to the State capital is 46 miles.